Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Table Renishing Project - Part 1

It's funny how you never seem to realize just how much junk you have until you try to pack up and move. Like many people, I have that problem. However, my problems go a step further. I can't seem to throw away some things.

When one of my former roommates decided she didn't want this table, I jumped at the chance to add it to my ever-growing to-do list of projects. This table is well-built and solid, but it has many surface defects. It's the perfect candidate for resurfacing. Maybe I'm a pack rat, but then again, maybe I have an eye for seeing hidden potential. Although I will admit, I often bite off more than I can chew with projects.


Here I am nearly two months after moving and I'm just starting this project. It's a good thing that this one shouldn't be too labor intensive. What I plan on doing is essentially just sanding off the existing finish, doing some small patch work with wood putty, and then applying a new finish (I'm thinking a nice, dark Bombay mahogany).

Let me tell you a little more about the table itself. Like I said, it does have a lot of surface defects. That can be expected since it's 67 years old! Yeah, check out this picture of the drawer bottom. It says, "PROPERTY AIR FORCE, UNITED STATES ARMY, (serial number), LYCO. FURN. IND., WILLIAMSPORT, PA, 1942. I immediately had pictures of dollar signs in my eyes as I wondered if it had any value as an antique. In this case, I doubt it. However, if you ever go about refinishing an old piece of furnature, you should probably get an idea of its history before you start.


After day one of the project, I had already gotten a nice start on sanding. It will take a while, but I'm sure I'll eventually uncover some great looking wood. This picture doesn't do it justice, but sanding away years of use can really make a world of difference. I can hardly wait until I'm ready to stain. I think it will really look good.

I expect to make a few more posts on this project, so check back in and see how it's going from time to time.

1 comment :

wusensei said...

Hi
I'm a newbe. Ilike your articel, simple, direct to tpoint.